Top Tips for Staying Healthy and Active
Eating well and staying active are really important for our bodies and minds. Exercise builds the brain.
It is recommended that child are physically active for an hour every day, with thirty minutes of this taking place in school.
Here is a list of things that we promote and encourage at Our Lady of Hartley to keep our children healthy and active!
- Eating five different coloured pieces of fruit and vegetables a day 🥕🥦🍎🍇🍌
- Planning meals using guidance from the eat-well plate to ensure a balanced diet 🍽
- Drinking between 1 and 2 litres of water a day 💧
- Promoting meat-free Mondays 🌮🥗🥙
- Promoting healthy snacks at break-time 🍓🥝🍒🍉🍊
- Teaching one hour PE lessons, twice a week 🎾🏑⚾️🏏
- Completing the Daily Mile – Jogging and walking around the school playground for 15 laps 🏃♀️ 🏃♂️
- Offering children opportunities to join active after school clubs such as football, golf, dance and judo ⚽️⛳️🩰🥋
- Playing exercise videos for children through-out the day from ‘Go Noodles’, ‘BBC Super Movers’ or ‘Joe Wicks’ 5 Minute Move Videos’ 💃
- Taking Whitby for a walk around the school grounds 🐶
- Promoting active break times and lunchtimes 🤾♂️🤾♀️
- Offering a dance club and football club at lunch time 🩰⚽️
- Providing opportunities for children to be active in a lesson e.g. – standing up to answer a question 👩🏼🏫
- Teaching times-tables actively eg – recall whilst marching/jogging/stretching arms 🙆♀️ 🙆♂️
- Regular stretching opportunities through-out lessons 🤸♀️
- Encouraging children to walk to and from school 🚶♀️🚶♂️